Huskers Set for Tuesday Tilt With Mavericks
NEBRASKA vs. OMAHA
March 14, 2023
Hawks Field | Lincoln, Neb.
Tuesday, March 14 – 6:05 p.m. CT
Pitching: RHP Michael Garza (1-1, 1.64 ERA) vs. RHP Charlie Bell (1-1, 6.00 ERA)
Radio: Huskers Radio Network – Lincoln (1400 AM), Omaha (590 AM), Huskers.com, Huskers App
Nebraska continues its homestand on Tuesday night, welcoming in-state foe Omaha to Hawks Field.
First pitch between the Huskers and Mavericks is set for 6:05 p.m.
Tuesday night's game can be seen on B1G+, while fans can listen to Greg Sharpe and Ben McLaughlin call the action on the Huskers Radio Network, which can be hard on KLIN (1400 AM) in Lincoln and KXSP (590 AM) in Omaha. Every game this season can be heard for free on Huskers.com and the Official Nebraska Huskers App for both iOS and android devices.
Nebraska vs. Omaha
• Through 74 all-time meetings, Nebraska holds a dominant 62-12 advantage over Omaha in the all-time series.
• Since Omaha's transition to DI, the Huskers have won 11 of the 14 meetings against the Mavericks..
• The two teams split four games last season, with the Big Red posting a 14-3 run-rule victory in seven innings in their final meeting at Hawks Field in 2022.
NU Offense Among the National Leaders
• Through March 12, the Nebraska offense leads the Big Ten and ranks in the top 20 of four offensive categories.
Category Value B1G NCAA
Batting Average .334 1st 9th
Doubles 41 1st 9th
Doubles/Game 2.93 1st 5th
Slugging Percentage .589 1st 12th
Huskers Homer in 12 Consecutive Games
• After not going yard in the season opener at San Diego, Nebraska reached a streak of 12 consecutive games with a home run, before being held without a homer against Illinois State on Saturday.
• The 12-game streak is the longest in school history since the Big Red homered in 21 straight games in the 1988 season.
• The Huskers totaled 25 homers in the 12-game stretch, including seven gamse of at least two home runs.
Matthews, Caron a Constant on the Base Path
• Brice Matthews and Josh Caron have been a constant on the base paths for the Huskers recently, as both enter Tuesday night's game having reached base safely in 15-plus games.
• Matthews comes into Tuesday's tilt with the Mavericks with a 17-game reached base streak, while Caron has reached base safely in 15 straight games.
Evans Tabbed Big Ten Player of the Week
• Junior Cole Evans was named the Big Ten Baseball's Player of the Week, the league office announced Monday afternoon.
• The Grand Island, Neb., native hit .818 (9-for-11) with three doubles, two home runs, seven RBI and four runs in three games against Northern Colorado and Illinois State.
• On the week, Evans recorded a 1.636 slugging percentage and an .833 on-base percentage.
• Evans went 3-for-4 with a double, two homers, three RBI and a pair of runs scored in a 14-3 seven-inning win against Northern Colorado.
• The junior opened the Illinois State series with a 2-for-3 day, before going 4-for-4 with two doubles, four RBI and two runs in the second game against the Redbirds.
Big Red Nearing 400th Win at Hawks Field
• Playing in their 22nd season at Hawks Field, Nebraska is closing in on its 400th all-time win at the ballpark.
• With the two-game series sweeps over Northern Colorado and Illinois State last week, the Huskers have an all-time record of 397-158-1 in the home ballpark.
• NU hasn't had a losing season at home in each of the last 21 seasons.
Numbers to Know
5 – Through their first 14 games this season, the Huskers have committed just six errors and rank fifth nationally with a .987 fielding percentage.
4 – Shay Schanaman is four strikeouts away from tying Jamie Rodrigue (2000-03) for No. 9 all-time in school history with 200 strikeouts. Schanaman tied Zach Kroenke for 10th-best last weekend.
2 – Junior Brice Matthews is two hits shy of reaching the 100-hit mark in his three years with the Huskers.
12 – The NU offense has produced four or more runs in an inning 12 times through the first 14 games this season. In 2022, the Huskers scored four runs in an inning 20 times throughout the season.
6 – Nebraska is 7-1-1 when scoring at least six runs this season. The Huskers are 57-9-1 under head coach Will Bolt when reaching the six-run mark in the last four seasons.